Avondale Return to Learning | 2020-2021
The safety of our students is our number one priority in the Avondale School District. As we navigate this “new normal” together, our mission remains the same: to provide a safe learning environment in which all students have the unhindered ability to grow and thrive academically and as individuals. Here you will find an overview of our Return to Learning Plan for the 2020-2021 School Year as well as additional resources regarding state guidelines and other relevant information.
Remote Learning Plan Extended for All Students
During the January 11, 2021 Avondale Board of Education meeting, the Board unanimously voted to approve our plan for students to return to in-seat instruction if their families so choose. An overview of the plan, outlining two choices for students to complete the 2020-21 school year, was sent to all families and staff members last Friday, January 8th. One option of the plan is to continue with remote learning and the other option of the plan is for students to return to in-seat learning within a hybrid schedule. All families will receive an “Enrollment Commitment Form (Survey)” tomorrow asking them to choose between remote learning or in-seat learning. As you weigh your decision, I urge you to review the information sent last Friday that outlined the choices: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RLUx_mpC-jxRw-DPJk1SsQUO04Cg14Zu/view?usp=sharing . Also, please review the sample schedules for remote and in-seat instruction provided at the links below.
- Elementary AM In-Seat Learning Schedule: Click here.
- Elementary PM In-Seat Learning Schedule: Click here.
- Elementary FULLY REMOTE Learning Schedule: Click here.
- GATE School Hybrid Schedule: Click here.
- Avondale Middle School Hybrid Schedule: Click here.
- Avondale High School Hybrid Schedule: Click here.
Please note that the schedules are templates for the buildings to follow and may be adjusted slightly based upon the unique needs and circumstances within each school.
Additional information that may help you in your decision making is listed:
- Thursday, February 18, 2021 will be the first day of teaching and learning in Avondale School District using the remote and in-seat hybrid model.
- We are committed to using ONLY Avondale School District teachers and staff to provide instruction for our students in both the remote and the in-seat environment. Because of this, and depending upon the number of students in-seat and the number of students in remote, there may be some changes to teacher assignments resulting in a change of teacher for your student.
- Wednesdays are designated as asynchronous days for all students whether in remote learning or in-seat. This will give our school custodial staff a day each week to deep clean each building; provide opportunity for teachers to meet as teams to collaborate and ensure teaching and learning is equitable and consistent for remote and in-seat learners; and allow time for student support and outreach.
- At the elementary school, lunches will be provided but lunch periods will not be a part of the students’ time at school. We still want to ensure that students have access to nutritious meals through our breakfast and lunch programs but having lunch periods at the elementary schools is not conducive to protocols that prevent the spread of COVID-19. Elementary schools will develop a plan to distribute meals as a part of their arrival and/or dismissal plans which are based upon the design of their individual buildings; the number of students transported by buses or parents and walkers; and other factors.
- Avondale Middle School and Avondale High School are able to plan for lunch periods during the school day as those buildings have ancillary space available that can be utilized for lunch while adhering to safety protocols.
- Our Busy Bees program is working with administrators on a solution that will benefit as many students as space and staffing safely allows. There will be additional information about Busy Bees in the “Enrollment Commitment Form” that you will receive tomorrow.
Our building principals will be hosting Information Nights to provide additional details about the remote and in-seat choices. Watch for a link to the virtual event from your principal and please plan to attend:
Avondale Middle School: January 19, 2021 at 5:00 PM
Avondale GATE: January 19, 2021 at 7:00 PM
All Elementary Schools: January 21, 2021 at 5:30 PM
Avondale High School: January 21, 2021 at 7:00 PM
Also, please note that we have extended the date for returning your completed Enrollment Commitment Form indicating your choice of either remote or in-seat instruction for each of your students. The new date is Monday, January 25, 2021.
Though this plan is not the return to school that we have imagined and hoped for, it is a step in the right direction toward full time instruction, when social distancing no longer becomes a factor in classroom capacity. We anxiously wait for the day when we safely welcome all of our students and staff members back into our buildings.
Heightened Cleaning Protocols
Read an overview of cleaning protocols in place to ensure the health and safety of Avondale School District students and staff - click here.
Extended COVID-19 Learning Plan Staff Training
Avondale School District continues Professional Development and Training during the pandemic to ensure that our staff members have opportunity to continually expand their knowledge of best practices in teaching; learn about advancements in technology to enhance curriculum delivery; and access tools and resources focused on teaching and learning during the pandemic. You can review the most current list of Professional Development and Training during the pandemic by clicking here.
COVID-19 Learning Plans Submitted and Approved
To ensure that all students in the State of Michigan receive equitable education during the COVID-19 Global Pandemic, the Michigan Department of Education has instituted a reporting system whereby all school districts must submit comprehensive plans for educating every student in their charge. You can review the Avondale School District plans, reconfirmed each month by the local School Board of Education, below.
- Avondale EXTENDED COVID-19 Learning Plan
- Avondale COVID-19 Response Plan
- Avondale COVID Response Plan (Early Childhood)
- Reconfirmation of Learning Plan October 2020
- Reconfirmation of Learning Plan November 2020
- Reconfirmation of Learning Plan December 2020
- Reconfirmation of Learning Plan January 2021
- Reconfirmation of Learning Plan February 2021
- Reconfirmation of Learning Plan March 2021
- Reconfirmation of Learning Plan April 2021
- Reconfirmation of Learning Plan May 2021
- Reconfirmation of Learning Plan June 2021