Applying to GATE Magnet School
The Avondale GATE Magnet School is open to students in grades 2-8. The program accepts students who reside in the district and also "out-of-district" students who enroll through our Schools of Choice program.
For the 2023-2024 school year, BOTH out-of-district students AND in-district students can apply for enrollment during our application window.
The application window for the 2023-2024 school year will be posted on this site in the winter of 2022. (Additional application information listed below.)
To preview an overview of the information presented during the Schools of Choice Information Sessions click here.
How to Apply
Important Application Dates - GATE Magnet School 2023-2024 School Year
- November 2022 - January 2023: Sign Up for a Tour
- December 12, 2022 at 6:30 pm: GATE Magnet School Information Night #1
- January 9, 2023 at 6:30 pm: GATE Magnet School Information Night #2
- January 23, 2023 at 6:30 pm: GATE Magnet School Information Night #3
- February 1-March 2, 2023: School of Choice AND Resident Application Window
- TBA: Testing
- TBA: School of Choice Parent Notification
- TBA: Letter of Intent OR Appeals DUE
- TBA: Notification of Decision for Appeals
Student Application Requirements:
- Complete the GATE application during the application window (February 1-March 2, 2023). The application will be posted at avondaleschools.org/gate-magnet-school
- BOTH Avondale in-district residents and School of Choice families will apply during this window and on the same application.
- Within the application, parents will: Give basic contact information, upload this year's first semester report card, sign up for the entrance assessments: NWEA MAP reading and math assessments, and have the opportunity to provide any additional details or documents about their child. Parents may submit their student’s official IQ results (completed less than 18 months from application date for children 7+ years) or any other applicable documentation.
Round 1: After the initial testing and gathering of portfolio information, students are eligible to move forward with enrollment if they achieve 90th percentile or higher in both NWEA reading and math assessments and/or they meet other requirements within the rubric.
Round 2: Students will be eligible to take the CoGat Screener assessment. Once the data is collected, a final decision regarding acceptance will be made by the team. There will not be any appeals.
- Students will come in person to complete the entrance assessments.
- If your child has a Fall or Winter 2022/2023 NWEA MAP assessment you can provide in lieu of taking it again, you may provide that.
- If your child is an Avondale district resident, you do NOT need to provide the NWEA MAP results, we already have access to it.
- All students must complete an application online. Eligibility is determined following a rubric of the above information and is based on multiple points of data.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does it mean to be “gifted”?
The National Association for Gifted Children (NAGC) defines gifted individuals as “those who demonstrate outstanding levels of aptitude (exceptional ability to reason and learn) or competence (documented performance or achievement in top 10% or rarer) in one or more domains.”
What is “school of choice”?
Students who do not reside within the Avondale School District boundaries and do not currently attend an Avondale school are considered “school of choice”.
What is “district resident”?
Students who reside within the Avondale School District boundaries are considered “district residents”. This distinction also applies to students who are already attend an Avondale school through School of Choice.
Do you accept GATE applications mid-year?
Unfortunately, no. The only exception would be if a student moves within the Avondale School District boundaries mid-year.
Where and when can I apply?
All applications for the GATE Magnet School are completed online and must be completed during the specific application window announced each year. Please refer to the “How to Apply” section above to view the current application windows for District Resident and School of Choice students.