Avondale Middle School
Secondary Career Development is embedded into our curriculum whenever possible. We also have intentional activities that give students time and space to reflect on themselves and careers that might match their personality, skills, and interests. Some of these include:
- 6th Grade Career Day
- Monthly “Career Reflection and Connection” Days (writing prompts and class discussion)
- “Future Focus Days”: Time for students to reflect, explore careers/schools in Xello and complete state requirements
- Future Fridays: Guest speakers at lunch
- Jobs in Action: Job site tours at local businesses
- College campus visit
- Field trips: Oakland Technical Campus, Construction Career Day, etc.
Still not sure what you want to do after high school?
Want to talk to someone who has a job you are interested in?
Hear from an industry professional while you eat lunch!
Sign up for a Future Friday lunch!
What to do:
Sign up for the date you want to attend on Google Classroom (graduating class)!
Look for the Future Friday topic.
Invite your friends!
Go to the host teacher’s room during lunch.
Bring your lunch.
The Host Teacher will introduce you to the speaker who will either be in-person or will join remotely to tell you about their career and give you an opportunity to ask questions!
Upcoming Field Trips
6th grade to River Rouge Factory
Purple Team: Feb. 12, Gold Team Feb. 13
LIFT Manufacturing Training Center
Details coming soon!
Tools to Schools Carpentry Semi at AMS
Details coming soon!
May 11: Oakland Schools Technical Campus Tour
8am - 10:30am
8th grade only. Space is limited!
OSTC offers many great opportunities for students to not only gain a high school diploma, but also graduate with certification and/or college credit in the field of their choice for FREE! They have programs in IT, Automotive, Welding, Construction,Culinary, Health Science, Cosmetology and more!
OSTC field trip application
OSTC SUMMER CAMPS
Automotive Technology – Available at OSTC-NE, OTSC-SE, OTSC-SW
Collision Repair & Refinishing – Available at OSTC-NE and OTSC-SE
Culinary Arts / Hospitality – Available at OTSC-NE, OTSC-NW, OTSC-SE
Machining – Available at OTSC-NE
Welding – Available at OTSC-NE and OSTC-SE
Alternative Energy at OU
Engineering Exploration at OU
Bioengineering at OU
Mathematics and Physics in Engineering at OU
Other Resources for
- Local apprenticeships, Trades, Culinary, Healthcare and military links
- AHS Opportunities by Career cluster
- Michigan HOT Jobs
- Metro Detroit Job Outlook
- Day in the Life Videos
- Career Onestop Videos
Find more videos in your Graduating Class Google classroom!
Looking for a specific career video? Request one from firstname.lastname@example.org
Avondale students use Xello, a comprehensive career and education planning program. Xello provides everything students need to complete annual state EDP requirements and more! It includes:
- Self-awareness assessments
- Career and skill matching tools
- Career awareness and exploration
- Educational planning information
- Space for documenting goals and plans
- Upload space for a digital portfolio
- Lessons in career and life skills
- A resume building tool
- And much more!